Wednesday, June 23, 2010

IdeaCity 2010 - Presenter - Lakshmi Pratury

Lakshmi is the Hindu goddess of wealth. And how do we measure wealth? Here, in this place I call home, there are people who measure it by the car you drive, by the designer bag you carry, by the accumulation of possessions. By monetary profit. And by aspiring to sit at the Top 100 of the Forbes list.


But Lakshmi Pratury had a message, and a suggestion. Why not make memories our currency? Why not count the experiences of our lives as riches? A life should be lived with goodness, and with consciousness. Every life is so incredibly valuable, so why do we not appreciate our moments more? And when our moments influence other people, then why don't we bank on their moments too? It's like a wonderful reverberating pyramid scheme.


Lakshmi Pratury's talk was one of the most memorable for me this year at IdeaCity. Her topic of discussion wasn't new, or cutting-edge, or revolutionary, but her perspective was sweet and touching. It was just a reminder to bring the very act of LIVING back into focus. And how do we live?

I don't call myself an expert on this subject, but I have some suggestions... I try to pause and be present. I try to be aware of my feelings at any given moment. I've made sure to never lose my curiosity, and to be fearless, as a child is. I like to make friends and enjoy them and value them for the wonderful people they are. And most of all, I am honest, with the people around me, and with myself.

So, it's no surprise that this talk really resonated with me. I aspire to build a wealth of moments. If memories are money, then I am a BILLIONAIRE!!

Lakshmi's website: http://lakshmislounge.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment